Welcome to 4WD Arizona!

If you're looking for 4WD adventures, you've come to the right place, well..almost. We've moved to a dedicated website at : http://www.experience-az.com/. All the great stuff is still there, plus a bunch of new stuff.

Please take a look, you'll be glad you did.

The Experience Arizona blog is now a dedicated blog. Stop by to keep up-to-date on all that's happening in Experience Arizona.

Thanks, and have fun and be safe!


Friday, January 1, 2010

Rug Road / Carpet Hill / Turkey Creek


Carpet Hill

This is extremely remote, ruff and beautiful 4wd trail located between Mammoth and Klondyke, Arizona.

The information from this blog has been moved to the Experience Arizona website at: http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/rugroad/rugroad.html

The Experience Arizona website has a lot more than the adventures contained in this blog:
- Interactive maps
- Weather
- To Do List
- Updated information
- Information on Arizona wildlife, plantlife and history
- Online magazine
- All for FREE!

Take a look, you'll be glad you did!

3 comments:

  1. Indeed a great place to visit and explore! I shear your enthusiasm and respect for this trail. That being said, Part of any adventure is the planing and execution. Furthermore, when someone has to spend many hours learning of, and finding ruins such as theses it makes the adventure that much greater! The hours spent locating such places also helps to protect these ruins from would-be vandals. Copper Creek is an excellent example of what happens when detailed location information is provided to the general public.

    Copper Creek is still a beautiful place, but in 1993 a Tucson Newspaper published detailed directions on its location. Copper Creek was horribly damaged beyond repair. The rancher who owns the Copper Creek ruins closed Copper Creek to the public after that.

    I have no dough that you endeavor here to help others in their quest for adventure; however in your attempt to help you may be destroying the very thing you want to preserve and share.

    Relic Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relic Hunter,

    I agree with a lot of what you're saying. And I struggle with this every time I post a new place. I created this blog because I want to find detailed info on places, but there doesn't seem to be a lot out there. And maybe for good reason... I am hoping that people coming to this blog take care of the places. We'll have to wait and see.

    I share your feelings about Copper Creek. I've been going there for almost 30 years and I get sad about it every time I think about it. There were a bunch of reasons the rancher closed the area. I don't think four-wheelers were the major issue. However, popularity of the site may have been a larger factor.

    That being said, there are SOME places that I go that are so special and fragile that I will not publish their information and coordinates. I'm not willing to take the chance.

    Above all, we (all of us) need to take care of these places, treat them with respect and help keep them open. Unfortunately with the mindset a some of the people I see out there, I fear that within 20 years most of these places will be closed. There are many, many, many more people enjoying these areas (ATVs allow almost anyone to go out there) and what we need is for the Forest Service to open MORE roads, not close them, and enforce Tread Lightly, etc. But they have no money and enforcement is hard.

    No good answer to the problem.

    Have fun on your adventures!

    Arizona Adventurer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got to the beginning of carpet hill today, but turned around. I'm still too new at this to take it on. Love copper creek and would hate for it to be ruined by those that don't care about it.

    ReplyDelete